Leading the Way -  Benfleet Dog Walking Service - Professional dog walker - Police checked - Fully insured
RSS Become a Fan

Recent Posts

Essex Dog Day - Hatfield Peverel - 26th August
Benfleet Yacht Club Cadet Week
Olympic Mountain Bike Track
Dogathon - sponsored walk in aid of Peaceful Place
Tilbury Fort, Essex

Categories

walking the dogs
powered by

My Dog Walking Blog

The Paper Mill Lock, Chelmsford

One of my favourite walks is a 20 minute drive to Little Baddow in Chelmsford - It's not sign posted so here are the directions - A130 to Chelmsford and when you come to the roundabout take the exit for the A12 northbound.  Take the first exit and head for the A414 towards Maldon for about 2 miles.  Turn left at the Danbury duck pond and follow the road down for two and a half miles and you will come to Little Baddow.  There is plenty of parking on the road or park in the tea room car park.

This is the halfway point in the journey along the River Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation from Chelmsford to the coast.  The Navigation has 12 locks and 6 bridges all dating from the 1790's.  It was completed in 1797 and enabled  goods like timber, stone and bricks to go up river and grain and flour to go down.  This is the reason why Britains first gasworks was built in 1819 in Chelmsford because of the coal moving up the canal.

The canal is nearly 14 miles long and from here you can follow the towpath, which is a right of way to Chelmsford or Heybridge Basin (see blog dated 19/2/12 )

Willows were planted along the banks to grow wood for cricket bats

There is a 75 feet drop from start to finish - we have kayaked  this in the past and its much easier to pick up your kayak and walk it round the locks!

It's thirsty work all this walking!

After walking for an hour towards Chelmsford, we turned around and headed back for the Paper Mill Lock which has a very quaint cafe  just beside the lock - it's open until 5pm so we just made it in time for a cuppa and a slice of cake!  It's a very popular attraction and it was lovely to see so many families out enjoying their weekend.  I think nearly every table had their  four legged companion with them - all behaving very well even when a swan stopped off for bite to eat!

Alfie 'doggie watching' !

In 1792 two mills stood on the lower island - one grinding mica for the paper making process and the other for corn.

As we had expected with spaniels and water - it's bathtime when we get home.

If you have enjoyed reading my dog blog - please feel free to leave a comment

13 Comments to The Paper Mill Lock, Chelmsford:

Comments RSS
streaming sports on 28 September 2012 07:57
Soccer is one of the best popular and energetic team play. Thousands of flock to stadiums or watch live streaming football to watch their favorite teams compete!!

Chelmsford Map on 11 August 2013 08:02
Looks like a great place to walk the dog if you live in the Chelmsford area. Oh and some great pictures by the way.

Rolex GMT-Master Fake on 20 April 2013 04:44
Except for the affordable price and top quality, every demand you submitted for the high-end Rolex GMT-Master Fake will be met.

tibet reizen on 20 May 2013 00:37
Greetings from Colorado! I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your website on my iphone during lunch break. I love the knowledge you provide here and can't wait to take a look when I get home. I'm amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, amazing site!

madeforart on 22 May 2013 04:49
ble|reasonable} initially, did not work perfectly with me after some time. Someplace throughout the paragraphs you managed to make me a believer unfortunately only for a short while. I however have got a problem with your leaps in logic and one might do nicely to fill in those breaks. If you can accomplish that, I could definitely end up being fascinated.

python skin is too new design and materials Zac Posen on 16 June 2013 13:28
In establishment over the past 21 years, celine bag concept store development throughout the China , Japan , country and Australia and other places. Currently in Berlin , Seoul , and Seoul , southern and other be world-famous city opened 7 shoppe and 31 store . In recently years , celine bag discount fashion landmark in London opened its first con

office foot massager on 11 July 2013 04:22
Somebody essentially help to make seriously posts I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I amazed with the research you made to make this particular publish incredible. Fantastic job!

Writing research paper on 12 July 2013 13:19
I liked the way you put together everything, there is certainly no need to go any further to look for any additional information. You mentioned each and everything that too with much of ease..

writing online services on 02 September 2013 11:09
You are so interesting! I do not think I've read a single thing like this before. So good to find somebody with a few genuine thoughts on this subject. Many thanks for starting this up. This web site is one thing that is needed on the web, someone with a bit of originality...

nonwoven interlining on 05 October 2013 08:57
In some modern use, pier is normally used to be able to refer to structures that are originally intended for industrial use like seafood processing or shipping.

locksmith in montreal on 01 January 2014 09:11
Hi, I’m extremely impressed by your blogging ability on topic The Paper Mill Lock, Chelmsford. Please make make contact with me if a part-time blog work seems similar some thing you be thinking about

best resume services in NYC on 12 March 2014 10:08
Thanks for updating post related to the cleaning techniques and it is awesome. a great job done by you keep it up. Please share more blogs!

Watches Canada on 05 November 2014 06:14